Reds fall short by just one goal

Woodford United v Ashford Town'Woodford Utd FC, Byfield Road, Woodford
Woodford United v Ashford Town'Woodford Utd FC, Byfield Road, Woodford

WOODFORD United are no longer certain to finish above arch-rivals Daventry Town in the Central Division this season after being edged out by Ashford at Byfield Road over the weekend.

The Reds currently lead the Town by three points with a game in hand but much could depend upon the outcome of the Communications Park clash on Easter Monday.

Aaron King scored twice for Woodford against Ashford but still finished up on the losing side as the north London outfit had raced into a three-goal lead before Woodford finished strongly.

The visitors started well and were full value for a 24th minute lead provided by Matt Harmsworth who broke through and beat Woodford’s Matt Finlay with a well-judged chip shot.

Ashford looked home and hosed by half-time as two more goals followed just before the interval.

Harmsworth struck again when pivoting to score in the 44th minute.

Seconds later Russ Canderton headed home an Ashford free-kick but Woodford refused to lie down in the second-half with King’s double-strike almost snatching a point.

In the 48th minute he netted direct from a free-kick and then followed up from the penalty spot on the hour after himself being fouled. Only the crossbar then prevented Glen Hawkins from firing home an equaliser.

The games at Leighton Buzzard and Rugby ended goal-less while AFC Hayes and Aylesbury shared the spoils in a 3-3 draw. Ross Ahir earned Hayes a point with two late goals.

Bedfont Town drew 1-1 with fast-improving North Greenford United while a late goal from Nicke Kabamba gave Uxbridge all three points at Chalfont St.Peter. Burnham’s four-match winning streak ended with a 4-2 defeat at Barton-le-Clay.

Slough Town’s penchant for late goals saw them come from behind to beat Biggleswade Town who had deservedly taken a 49th minute lead through Brett Donnelly.

Danny Murphy and Ben Abbey grabbed the points for The Rebels but remain second on goal difference after title favourites St Neots scored twice without reply at Chertsey. Ben Mackey and Stefan Moore (with a 35-yard drive) netted for the Saints.

Bedworth remain third but had to work hard for a 3-2 win over bottom-of-the-table Marlow after Daniel Burke was sent-off.

Ex-Daventry midfield player Tom Bates was among the Greenbacks’ scorers.