HOCKEY: Buckby are stung by late Wasps equaliser

editorial image

Long Buckby were left frustrated as they were denied a win by a late equaliser at Birmingham Wasps.

Wasps took an early lead but Buckby levelled through Zara Nichols just before half time.

Wasps again went ahead early in the second half, but strikes from Susan Fox and Holly Harris saw Buckby go 3-2 ahead.

Against the run of play Wasps then evened the scoreline and Buckby couldn’t find a winner.

Player of the match was awarded to Kath Kates.

Long Buckby IIs faced a strong Nuneaton side and were beaten 11-0. Buckby were a player short, and defender Holly Singleton had to play in goal.

There was some excellent link play from Ellie Sales and Sophie Pluckett-Smith, but the player of the match was awarded to Singleton.

Parton and Pallett on target for Under-nines

Long Buckby Under-nines entered a junior tournament at Wellingborough and finished fourth.

Harry Parton and Jamie Pallett scored their first goals for Buckby, giving the team their first win. The team are looking forward to the next junior tournament being hosted by Buckby at Daventry Sports Park on December 1.

U9 squad: Sam Morgan, Daniel Fox, Thomas Becker, Jamie Pallett, Daniel Winn, Harry Parton, Katie Fox and Elenor Winn.

The under-11s also attended the Wellingborough tournament. The team won their second game winning 3-1 thanks to goals from Alex Parfitt and Mai Yates. The final two games finished in draws against Northampton and the Sikh Union. The team finished third in their pool.

U11s squad: Mai Yates, Lucy Browne, Alex Parfitt, Amy Hoffman, Aiden Griffiths, Niamh Purnell, Rebecca Edwards, Grace Rowe.

Daventry deliver late winner to sink Catz

Daventry Ladies were involved in a seven-goal thriller against Wildcatz, and came out on the right end of a 4-3 victory.

Daventry stormed in to a 2-0 lead within the first five minutes. Julie opened the scoring with a close range finish and Gemma then made it two after a lovely sweeping move.

Daventry then dominated the half but were unable to create further chances and the first half ended at 2-0.

Wildcatz got back in to the game with a goal from a penalty corner. The game became a bit scrappy with neither side really taking control until Alex lashed in Daventry’s third. Wildcatz hit back immediately, scoring two quick goals to make it 3-3.

A draw looked the likely outcome until Julie converted after a period of sustained pressure from Daventry.