MEN’S RUGBY: Flying start proves crucial as Buckby march on

editorial image

Long Buckby maintained their title challenge with an impressive 28-21 win over third-placed Thorney to go top of Midlands Four East (South).

Thorney had seen this game as their big chance to leapfrog one of their main rivals, but Buckby swiftly made their mark on the game as they took the lead after just 90 seconds with a try from Ed Sitch.

Ryan Clarke converted, and Buckby were 7-0 up.

After four minutes a Clarke penalty made it 10-0, and on six minutes prop Tom Haynes crashed over to increase the lead to 15-0 and leave Thorney shell-shocked.

To their credit, they hit back with a converted try, but another Clarke penalty saw Bucks lead 18-7.

Thorney responded again, and a converted try saw them close the gap to 18-14 at half-time.

Buckby were under a little bit of pressure now, but they started the second half as brightly as they had the first.

Doug Burroughs made a break to set up Ben Walton for a try, and Clarke’s boot made it 25-14.

On the hour, another Clarke penalty increased the gap to 14 points and even though Thorney came back hard to get their third try in the last minute, a bonus point was all they could manage.

Buckby travel to Aylestone Athletic this Saturday.

Buckby team: John-Paul Walters, Tim Dixon. Tom Haynes, Sam Evans, Andrew Tarplee, Ben Walton, Tom Illingworth, Andrew Frankland, Doug Burroughs, Ryan Clarke, Nathan Maddox, Jake Toseland, James Hare, Ed Sitch, Luke Foster. Replacements: Tim Lewis, Govinder Kolanda, Fred Saunders

Man of the match: Ryan Clarke

Scorers: Tries: Ed Sitch, Tom Haynes, Ben Walton. Conversions: Ryan Clarke (2). Penalties: Ryan Clarke (3)


IT was Vice-Presidents Day at Stefen Hill as Daventry All Blacks hosted Leicester Vipers in Midlands Three East (South).

But unfortunately, Daventry couldn’t mark the occasion with a win as they lost a low-scoring game 8-5.

Daventry started lively with strong runs from Lee Cresswell and Russell Ogden.

The All Blacks dominated the first 20 mins with Ciaran Quinn sprinting down the line only to be called back for a forward pass.

With Daventry piling on the pressure, Jake Okeife’s precise passing sparked a lovely backs move which ended in winger Ethan Roberts going over in the corner.

Daventry led 5-0 at half time.

The second half started with Vipers putting Daventry on the back foot, but some solid defence from Jake Sanderson kept Daventry in the lead.

Adam Whitehead was sin binned, but Leicester failed to take advantage and it looked as though Dav would hold on.

But with time running out Leicester ran over for a try and then added a late drop goal to sneak the win.

Daventry travel to bottom of the table Deepings this Saturday.