United bag key points

Share this article

DAVENTRY United picked up a valuable three points after beating Peterborough NS 2-1 in an away encounter.

The performance again proved just what the squad are capable of doing if they play to their ability.

After a disappointing end to 2011, United bounced back with a very good draw away to AFC Kempston and then went on to Chesnut Avenue.

Early pace-setters Peterborough Northern Star were back on song for the United visit and word around the ground was a comfortable three points were for the taking.

Star were good value for the money early on and United Keeper Ant O’Connor was called upon early on with a fine save.

Again Star were denied by O’Connor as his parry of a thunderous drive from Gibbs was cleared two yards out by the United defence.

Mid-way through the first half Tommy Waldock was through on goal only to be unceremoniously dragged over by Stars’ centre-half who was given a yellow card.

United had a couple more scary moments before the end of the half but could have gone ahead but for fine goalkeeping and resolute defending from Northern Star.

The second-half was finely poised as United had Star on the back foot.

Five minutes of pressure ended in Tommy Waldock cutting inside his marker and firing his shot low into the corner of net to give United the lead in the 50th minute.

Star responded immediately and went close from the re-start.

The reply came when Tommy Jazczun pulled up with a groin injury which allowed Star to break and United’s Ant O’Connor’s challenge was mis-timed. A penalty was awarded.

Stars’ Adie Stafferi made no mistake and the match was back level on 60 minutes.

United introduced Bellamy for Quinn with 10 minutes remaining and Edwards replaced Briscoe.

Within minutes of entering the game Edwards’ goalward shot was scrambled away.

Then United had a scary moment as Star flashed the ball across the goal and a timely header took the ball away from the waiting Stafferi.

Then with only a minute left on the clock United attacked again.

Star threw legs, arms and bodies at the ball and it rebounded to Edwards who smashed the ball into the net.

This was an excellent result for United who had another big fixture on Wednesday when they were due to face Buckingham Athletic in the second leg of the Buckingham Charity Cup second leg.