Town wade into sixth place

Share this article

DAVENTRY Town came back from fourth-placed Biggleswade Town to earn all three points – thanks to a wonderful second-half goal from striker Danny Edmunds.

After their adventures in the FA Cup and FA Trophy came to an abrupt end at Brackley Town and Kidsgrove Athletic respectively, Daventry Town returned to league action.

Biggleswade had not lost a game this season and had ambitions of their own to reach the play-offs once again. In 2010-2011 they were beaten two goals to nil by a very good Daventry side, which included goals from Adam Confue and Tommy Berwick.

Daventry Town went on to lose the play-off final that season in front of more than 1,000 spectators at Hitchin Town by 2-0.

This game started slowly with both goal keepers having very little to do in the first 20 minutes.

Daventry centre-back Kyle Cartwright foiled Waders’ striker Joel Mason after a tussle for the ball. Mason unfortunately turned his back on a free shot on goal, because unknown to him, Cartwright had lost possession of the ball.

An ambitious overhead kick from Adam Confue, which fell neatly into the arms of Waders’ keeper Michael McEntegart, was the first real Daventry effort on goal.

Danny Edmunds found himself free and hit the ball hard and low towards the penalty spot, only for the stretching leg of Adam Confue to miss the ball by inches.

Jamie Gould also rattled the crossbar with a sweetly-hit free-kick which left the Waders’ keeper glued to the spot.

Daventry made a promising start to the second-half.

Captain Guy Sanders headed on to the post and Kyle Cartwright had his effort cleared from the goal line in the same attack.

Daventry keeper Richard Morris almost provided Waders with an opportunity after he spilled a shot, but Daventry defenders cleared the ball to safety.

Daventry Manager Darran Foster replaced Nat Liburd with ex-Northampton Town striker Scott Cross after 80 minutes.

Cross provided the perfect pass for Danny Edmunds to run on to and hit a wonderful strike, which easily beat the floundering Waders’ keeper.

This gave the Town a hard-earned victory and sent the travelling ‘Purple Army’ home happy.

Daventry Town manager Darran Foster said: “The winning goal was a real gem, a great ball from Scott Cross and an even better finish by Danny Edmunds.

“After the goal we stood firm and got three very important points, which helped lift us up the table into a deserved sixth place, with a game in hand over Biggleswade.

“I had to make a decision on two or three players this week, which has resulted in Mykel Beckley and Matt Gearing leaving the club.

“I have targeted a couple of proven strikers recently and hope that I can tempt one of them into signing for us in the next few days.”

Daventry go to North Greenford United on Saturday, they then return to Communications Park for the first time in five weeks, when they host Barton Rovers next Tuesday, October 9.

A big home crowd is expected to welcome back the Town after their recent trips away from home.

Daventry supporters are once again beginning to believe this could be their season after all.