Town limp over finishing line

Share this article

LEG weary Daventry Town limped over the Central Division finishing line ahead of Biggleswade in third place on goal difference following an Easter Monday goalless draw with rivals Woodford United at Byfield Road, writes Mike Tebbitt.

The kick-and-rush football on offer was in truth a poor advertisement for the Southern League on another sweltering hot day when both managers, Phil Mason and Ady Fuller, conceded that a draw was a fair reflection.

To the disappointment of a bumper crowd of 237 both teams missed several scoring chances in the second-half following a totally forgettable opening 45 minutes in which defences ruled the roost.

Man of the match Ross Harris kept Tom Berwick under the thumb while his opposite number Neil Stacey probably did well enough for the Town to warrant a place in the starting line-up for tonight’s play-off semi-final against Biggleswade Town.

Daventry included young Josh Bellamy in place of Paul Lamb after the pleasing 5-1 demolition of Bedfont Town on Saturday but a goalless draw did not seem good enough until news filtered through that the Waders had been held to a 1-1 scoreline by Soham Town.

Ex-Daventry player Rob Foster did his old club a favour by scoring for Soham on a day when the Town again held Aaron Parkinson and Russell Dunkley in reserve for tonight’s play-off semi-final.

Berwick hit the crossbar late in the first-half but both sides missed chances galore after the interval with Woodford’s Ben Foster scuffing a shot before Nat Liburd forced Town goalkeeper Andy Kemp into a one-footed save.

Berwick then had a shot blocked by his colleague Josh Blake before Ricky Johnson wasted an open goal following a rare mistake by Kemp. Ryan Howell then had a shot cleared off the line by Harris and Johnson hit an upright late in the game.

A goalless draw was about right at a time when Arlesey clinched the league title (again!) with a 1-0 win at Hitchin, Biggleswade were held to a 1-1 draw by Soham and Slough suffered a lone-goal defeat against bottom-of-the-table Beaconsfield.