Town get back to winning way

Share this article

AT LAST! Daventry Town recorded their first league win in almost three months when Ashley Robinson scored the only goal of the game on the hour to see-off fourth-placed Biggleswade Town at Communications Park on Tuesday night.

In beating a top 10 side for the first time this season, Mark Kinsella’s men pulled two points clear of Fleet Town in the relegatuion zone after the Hampshire team were held to a 3-3 draw at home to AFC Hayes.

Only the early-season FA Cup success over Leamington will rank as a better performance by a Daventry side which had taken only a couple of points from their last dozen Central Division matches.

“We have been threatening to do something like this for several weeks and hopefully the win over Biggleswade will give our players the confidence to go on and pull clear of the drop zone,” said releaved Town manager Kinsella.

The only goal of the game came in the 60th minute when Robinson latched on to a defence-splitting pass from Adam Confue to score his first goal for the club.

Kinsella stuck with the team which had played well in defeat at Rugby. But he had to bring on substitute Scott Cross after only 12 minutes when Tom Berwick pulled a hamstring. By then Nathan Hicks had seen an on-target shot blocked by the Waders’ excellent goalkeeper Anthony Ender.

Biggleswade had their moments too with Joe Mellings saving well from Brett Donnelly before Hicks twice tested Ender at the other end.

Alex O’Brien hit the crossbar for the Waders in the 56th minute and that proved to be the turning point as Robinson’s match-winning goal followed.

Burgess and Kazaboni made goal-saving tackles - as Daventry deservedly held out for a first win since the 2-1 success at North Greenford almost three months ago on December 10.

Results elsewhere on Tuesday night could have gone better as Fleet picked up a point in a six-goal thriller against this Saturday’s Communications Park visitors AFC Hayes while Aylesbury chalked up a shock 1-0 win at Leighton Buzzard.

Marlow lost narrowly by a 3-2 margin at Northwood but the game at Woodford was postponed because of North Greenford’s involvement in a county cup tie.