The Reds rally to snatch all three derby points

WOODFORD manager Phil Mason’s pre-Christmas description of Daventry Town as “fellow-strugglers” was not far off the mark as the Reds came from behind to win the Boxing Day derby at Byfield Road.

Reaching the Central Division play-off places has become a pipe dream now that Mark Kinsella’s men are 10 points adrift of fifth-placed Uxbridge. An extended run in the Red Insure (League) Cup looks a more viable alternative.

First Daventry must try to get back on track against bottom-of-the-table Marlow on New Year’s Eve.

They then take on near-neighbours Rugby Town at Butlin Road in the League Cup on Tuesday, January 10.

December home defeats by both Barton Rovers and Beaconsfield began to fade from the memory as Stuart Hendrie’s far post header gave the Town a 38th-minute lead at Woodford Halse.

It was the striker’s seventh goal in little more than a month since signing on loan from Hinckley United.

Daventry gave a debut to globetrotting veteran midfield player Ian King but had to play second fiddle to a typically determined Woodford side in the second-half.

The equaliser came on the hour through a shot from the edge of the penalty area by Lewis Travers.

An honourable draw then looked to be on the cards. But the home team had other ideas with Nathan Liburd firing in a curling match-winning shot with only eight minutes remaining.

Woodford’s only disappointment will be that ex-Daventry defender Tom Fountain got himself sent-off in the closing stages for arguing with the referee.

Only 137 spectators witnessed this Bank Holiday clash which left both clubs in the bottom half of the table on reaching the half-way stage in their league campaigns.

Daventry have yet to beat any of the clubs in the top half of the Central Division.

Elsewhere on Boxing Day, leaders Slough Town were 2-0 winners over Beaconsfield while nearest challengers Bedworth United beat Rugby Town 4-1 before the coming visit to Communications Park next Monday (3pm).

No sleep will be lost either after last week’s 4-0 defeat in the NFA Senior Cup first round by a strong Corby Town side.

This Saturday Mark Kinsella’s men move on to play bottom-of-the-table Marlow where another win would lift the Town to the 32-point mark.