Superb Motormen win through in style

AFTER being given little chance of victory in this FA Cup match Daventry United travelled to last year’s FA Vase finalist – and came home with a superb win under their belt.

Cautious confidence that has been instilled into the squad over the last few games filled the dressing room and right from the kick off United took the game to Coalville.

This was the Motormen doing what they do best battling for every ball and committing to every tackle.

United should have taken the lead in the first 10 minutes but both Tom Lorraine and Johnathan Crockett hit their efforts straight at the keeper.

For all the possession and pressure United paid the price on 20 minutes when Wayne Richardson thundered a cross into the United area where Nathan Jones slid in to give them a lead against the run of play.

Six minutes later worse was to come when Ryan Robbins crossed the ball for Callum Woodward to have the simplest of tap ins.

Two nil down and Coalville were cruising or so they thought.

But as good as they were going forward their defence could not handle the pace of United’s front two and the lightning quick Tommy Waldock hauled United back in to the game.

Gathering the ball 25 yards from an acute angle he smashed his shot home with 10 minutes of the half remaining.

United had Coalville on the back foot for the remainder of the half and the equaliser came when Lorraine was pushed wide of the goal by his marker and from a tight angle smashed the ball past the stranded Bowles.

In the second-half United looked the better side taking the game to their higher league opponents.

Will Briscoe took the ball past Coalville right-back Phillips and fired in a cross which was met by Lorraine who smashed it into the Coalville goal.

Then the referee awarded Tom Lorraine his second yellow and sent him from the field of play with 18 minutes to play.

The referee later judged that Neil Chapelovier had bundled over a Coalville player in the box and awarded the softest of penalties.

Callum Woodward stepped up and made it three all. Coalville’s first substitute Chris Gummery was then shown a red card.

As the game entered the last minute of normal time, Tommy Waldock cut inside the defender and poked the ball past the keeper and into the net to restore United’s lead.

This was one of the best victories united have ever had and was just the response United manager Foster was looking for.

United entertain Loughborough Dynamo at Communications Park in the next round.