Saints brought down to earth by The Town

DAVENTRY Town climbed to the dizzy heights of second place in the league table after their fifth consecutive league victory over Chalfont St Peters by 2-1, writes Jim Davis.

Saints were presented with the first opportunity on goal after a mistake by Kyle Cartwright almost gave Saints’ winger Terrell Lewis a strike on goal. A timely interception and clearance by Liam Dolman came to the Town’s rescue.

Jamie Gould forced a brilliant fingertip save from Saints’ keeper Michael Power – Simpson, and Trevor McCreadie, who having won the ball, then crossed for Aaron King, who blasted his shot wide.

Daventry were creating plenty of chances and the large crowd soon had a goal to celebrate after just 15 minutes. Centre back Kyle Cartwright, rose high to direct a powerful header past the Saints goalkeeper, to put Town into a deserved lead.

Saints were creating chances too. Daventry keeper Richard Morris made several fine saves to keep the Town lead intact.

Saints Aaron McLeish robbed Kyle Cartwright of the ball, only to have his shot on goal superbly saved by Morris.

Scott Fitzgerald hit his shot wide of the far post, when faced with an open goal and Lewis wasted yet another opportunity for Saints to equalise, by hitting his shot over the cross bar.

Daventry were looking to increase their slender lead and created several more attempts on goal.

Aaron King made several neat step overs before crossing the ball to Scott Cross whose header was safely held by the Saints keeper.

Saints equalised after 59 minutes, from a free kick, Guy Sanders was penalised on the edge of the area, and centre back Adam Louth hit a fine strike to the right of Richard Morris, the Town keeper, giving him no chance to make a save.

Saints were still celebrating their equaliser when a good run on goal from Adam Confue opened up the Saints’ defence. A pass from Confue split the defence, allowing Scott Cross to continue his fine goal-scoring form with a shot across the keeper finding the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Saints were not yet beaten, a shot from full-back Jerome Okimo hit the crossbar with a wonderful strike and the rebound was blazed over the bar from Terrell Lewis.

Scott Cross almost added to his 10 goals this season for Town, when he turned quickly and hit a shot which beat the keeper, only for it to hit the post and bounce back in to play. Town had several chances to increase their lead as their confidence continued to grow.

Elsewhere, leaders Guildford Town were hit for six by a resurgent Rugby Town, and pacesetters Godalming, Burnham, Beaconsfield and Royston all dropped points in their games, helping push Daventry Town to a healthy second place in the league.

On Saturday, Town travel to Thatcham Town, following the game at Abingdon United in the Red Insure Cup on Tuesday.

The next game at Communications Park will be on Tuesday, October 23 against last season’s play-off finalists, and favourites Slough Town.

Another big crowd is expected to cheer on the Town, in this season’s quest for promotion.