Penalty spot strike seals Town win

Share this article

DAVENTRY Town came from a goal behind to snatch victory in the final minutes of their game in North London and earn a top four spot in the league table.

Despite having won only one game all season, The Blues were proving a very tough team to crack.

There were no goals in the first-half despite Danny Edmunds forcing a fine save from the Greenford keeper Caesar in the fifth minute.

Aaron King was denied a goal after another fine save from the Greenford keeper and Liam Dolman headed the ball onto the post from a corner.

Daventry were unlucky not to have been awarded a penalty on 30 minutes after the Greenford keeper made what looked like a two-footed challenge on Danny Edmunds. The keeper then cleared the ball without a glance from the referee.

Adam Confue was fouled soon after in the middle of the field, but this time the referee played advantage and Danny Edmunds ran in on goal only to put his effort just wide of the post.

Greenford took the lead after 51 minutes. Dan Carter cut in from the left of midfield and hit a fine shot past Daventry keeper Richard Morris, despite his valiant attempt to keep it out.

The worldwide issue of goal-line technology was given a Non-League focus at Greenford too after Daventry were denied what looked like an equalising goal.

A shot from Danny Edmunds hit the crossbar and post before appearing to cross the goal line. But despite the protests of Daventry players, the referee’s assistant ruled it had not crossed the line, much to the annoyance and frustration of the travelling Daventry support.

Daventry equalised in the 74th minute with a goal from top goal scorer Scott Cross. A 40-yard pass across field from Guy Sanders went over the head of the Greenford full back to Aaron King, who put in a cross towards the penalty area. This was left by both Danny Edmunds and Ross Oulton, for the unmarked Cross to pounce from six yards out and smash the ball past the falling keeper and celebrate his seventh goal of the season.

It looked like the points were going to be shared, until, in the 89th minute Daventry were awarded a penalty.

Substitute Trevor McCreadie, standing goal side of a Greenford defender, had both hands placed on his shoulders and was given the slightest of shoves in the back.

The official was well placed and correctly pointed to the spot.

Jamie Gould calmly slotted the spot kick past the diving keeper to give Daventry an unlikely victory, but three hard-earned points to take back home.

This victory, the second consecutive away victory in the league, has propelled Daventry into fourth place in the table, with two home games to be played in the next week.