No pretty win but they all count

UXBRIDGE became Daventry Town’s whipping boys on conceding 10 goals in the two matches culminating in Saturday’s somewhat flattering 4-1 win for the home side at Communications Park.

“It wasn’t pretty,” admitted Town boss Ady Fuller. “We should have been four up at half-time but defended sloppily in the second-half. A win is a win though at this stage of the season.”

In fact unpredictable Uxbridge gifted the Town their first and third goals when showing little sign of repeating the previous week’s shock lone-goal success against long-time Central League leaders Hitchin Town.

The game was less than a couple of minutes old when visiting goalkeeper Michael Piwonski’s attempted clearance was charged down by Howard Forinton enabling the ball to trickle into an unguarded net.

With man-of-the-match Josh O’Grady causing havoc on the left just as he had done during the 6-1 win at Uxbridge in November, the Town should have converted a number of telling crosses in the first 45 minutes.

Both Josh Blake and Tom Berwick missed chances to double the 1-0 scoreline before the visitors equalised in the 50th minute when Toby Little, a new signing from Staines, did well to head home a pin-point cross from the excellent Anore Costa.

The Town were back in front within six minutes however as yet another O’Grady cross fell to Tom Fountain and the Town captain made no mistake from inside the six-yard area.

Home goalkeeper Tom Kemp then made fine saves from headers by Mark Dennison and Kevin Warner before a defensive mix-up in the 80th minute presented Berwick with an easy third goal.

O’Grady rounded off the scoring with a well-executed chip shot in injury time but the Town were not as comfortable in victory as the scoreline would suggest. More would clearly be needed at Marlow and Arlesey this week.

A dry pitch and better weather at the weekend led to the best attendance at Communications Park for a league match this season (155) although even this figure was dwarfed by the 628 fans attracted by out-of-form Hitchin and the 283 witnessed Rugby Town’s 1-0 defeat of Slough Town.