Midweek wins

Share this article

IN the SL Central Division Woodford United leapfrogged the Town with a back-to-form 2-1 win over Marlow at Byfield Road after goals from new striker Alfie Taylor and Wesley Emery.

And The Bucks who have yet to be matched in either league or cup games so far this season, beat Desborough Town by a 4-1 margin at Station Road to keep tabs on UCL Premier Division leaders Peterborough Northern Star.

The Reds will be pleased with the three points and the performance of Wesley Emery who popped up in the box to score the vital winner with 15 minutes remaining of the match.

Marlow looked to have opened the scoring on five minutes when a firm header from captain Tom Willment was disallowed for offside to the relief of the home players and supporters. A route one moment on 16 minutes gave Woodford the lead when a long ball from keeper Matt Finlay was flicked on by Sid Hawkins into the path of Alfie Taylor who coolly slotted past Marlow’s custodian Gavin Lane for his first Southern league goal of the season.

Marlow centre-half Mark Avery met a lofted free-kick to head home the equaliser on 36 minutes.

With the game at a deadlock on 73 minutes Woodford snatched the winner when midfielder Wesley Emery stroked the ball past the helpless Marlow keeper Gavin Lane for his debut goal.

Long Buckby eased to their 15th consecutive win in all competitions with a comprehensive 4-1 victory against a plucky Desborough team on Tuesday evening.

Buckby constant attacking was eventually rewarded on 27 minutes when a foul on Fazel Koriya, resulted in a Richard Bunting free-kick being rolled to Craig Kelly.

His shot was cruelly deflected leaving the keeper helpless to give the home team the lead.

Buckby were awarded yet another free-kick in the 35th minute which resulted in a Russ Dunkley flick-on being collected by Fazel Koriya. He made no mistake to put the score 2-0 to Long Buckby.

Then at 61 minutes Fazel Koriya drew the keeper to slot a high shot into the roof of the net to put the game beyond Desborough with a scoreline of 3-0.

The home team were again rewarded on 77 minutes when Andy Gordon pulled the ball back for Rob Foster to rifle a shot into the net putting the score on 4-0.

David Glass reduced the arrears with a tremendous strike on 85 minutes to give Desborough scant consolation.