Improving Daventry boosted by the return of players but still exit cup

Daventry Town keeper Ben Heath wa sin top form at Ilkeston Town
Daventry Town keeper Ben Heath wa sin top form at Ilkeston Town

Daventry Town were knocked out of the Integro Doodson League Cup at Ilkeston Town in Monday’s 3-0 third round defeat despite a much-improved display from Darran Foster’s boys.

The return of Jon Bukasa, Barry Deacon and new signing Scott Cross, who was unavailable for Saturday’s defeat at Romulus, helped Daventry take the game to the premier division outfit in the early stages before falling behind and two second half goals ended their hopes.

Adam Creaney collected a fine cross from Dan Childs but his effort skimmed the bar and Edilson Panzo-Antonio turned well and hit a shot over the bar from a tight angle. In between, Ilkeston came close after Dan Udoh played the ball back to Mike Williams whose shot went just wide.

An excellent brave save from Ben Heath denied winger Curtis Burrows before Daventry fell behind in the 29th minute when Williams hit a 30 yard screamer which went in off the post.

Ilkeston had an effort ruled out for offside and a long ball from full back Luke Shaw found Curtis Burrows but his looping header went wide of the far post. Robins keeper Jamie Hannis denied Panzo-Antonio.

Daventry defended well in the first half and limited their hosts to few chances and also managed to create a few of their own.

Seven minutes after the restart Haydn Goddard hit the top of the bar before Robins doubled their lead on the hour mark when Udoh picked up a loose ball up on the edge of the box and thumped home. Daventry responded well and Barry Deacon fired a shot high over the bar following a corner.

A superb point-blank save from Hannis denied Cross but from the resulting 71st minute corner Ilkeston broke away to score a third goal when Udoh set up Dexter Atkinson who slid the ball past Heath.

Heath pulled of another brilliant save to keep Goddard’s header out in the closing stages. But Ilkeston had already done enough to earn a trip to Kidsgrove Athletic in the quarter-final.