How the league title came to Station Road

Long Buckby players celebrate their title win
Long Buckby players celebrate their title win
Share this article


The 40 year wait is finally over.

Station Road was more like a cold winter day than spring on Saturday as the committee battled to ensure the match could be staged with the volume of water that the pitch consumed in the previous 48 hours.

Blackstones started the match in a determined manner and were not to be intimidated against the team who had put 11 past them only 10 days ago.

Both Richard Bunting and Russell Dunkley tested the keeper in the early stages.

On 24 minutes keeper Darren Watts attempted to dribble the ball past Danny Barker but was dispossessed and the Blackstones player put the ball into an empty net to give the visitors a shock lead.

The lead only lasted five minutes as Josh Davis took a free kick from the left touch line and put the ball into the box. It evaded everyone and ended up in the back of the net to make the scores level.

Jack Ashton pulled a muscle on 31 minutes and was replaced by David Glass. On 50 minutes the Blackstones keeper made a great save from Fazel Koriya and the resulting corner was cleared.

Blackstones were still showing their hosts that they were not here just to make up the numbers as Simon Mowbray hit the bar after keeper Watts had parried a shot.

Michael Byrne replaced Josh Davis on 60 minutes and Fazel Koriya moved to the right and Byrne played off Dunkley through the middle.

Almost immediately Byrne squared the ball for Richard Bunting who put the shot over the bar.

The keeper came to Blackstone’s rescue on 70 minutes when he made another great save from Bunting.

The breakthrough finally came on 75 minutes when Fazel Koriya sent Michael Byrne clear and he made no mistake with a shot low into the corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

The relief around the ground was immense

The last 15 minutes seemed like an eternity as Koriya, Dunkley and Byrne were once again denied by the keeper.

When the referee blew his whistle to end the game Station Road erupted with joyous celebrations all round the ground.

After the game UCL vice-chairman George Whiting presented the champions flag and pennant to manager Glenn Botterill.

Then the players collected their medals before captain Richard Bunting received the trophy to the cheers of the Buckby faithful.