Eze does it for Kettering as Daventry Town promotion bid ends

CRUCIAL MOMENT - Henry Eze's header hits the net for Kettering's winner against Daventry (Picture: Alison Bagley)
CRUCIAL MOMENT - Henry Eze's header hits the net for Kettering's winner against Daventry (Picture: Alison Bagley)

Daventry Town’s Calor League Division One Central promotion bid ended at Latimer Park on Tuesday night as Darran Foster’s men suffered a 1-0 play-off semi-final defeat to county neighbours Kettering Town.

Henry Eze’s headed goal after just two minutes proved to be the difference between the two sides in a tight game that Daventry dominated for long periods.

But they couldn’t turn their domination into goals, and it is Dean Thomas’s Kettering who go on to meet Slough Town in the play-off final on Monday.

More than 1,400 fans packed into Latimer Park for the semi-final.

Kettering were not at their best, but they defended well and, when their defences were breached, man-of-the-match Alastair Worby was there to deny the visitors.

Daventry, for their part, will feel hard done by.

Once again they came to Latimer Park and they performed well. This, for whatever reason, just wasn’t their season.

Thomas made two changes from the team that started the final game of the regular season at North Greenford on Saturday with Tommy Hull and Josh Moreman coming into the team at the expense of Jon Bukasa and Andrew Osei-Siribour.

And, having missed that game at the weekend, top scorer Dubi Ogbonna also returned to the squad but had to settle for a place on the bench.

For Daventry, former Corby Town striker Tom Berwick came back into the side along with top scorer Ashley Robinson.

But the visitors were stunned as Kettering made a flying start and opened the scoring inside two minutes.

They forced the first corner of the game, Andy Gooding whipped it in and Eze was there to outjump his marker and power home the header.

The vast majority of Latimer Park went crazy but it wasn’t the signal for total dominance for the hosts as the game soon settled into the nervy contest most had expected.

But it was the Poppies who should have doubled their advantage on 21 minutes when a golden chance fell to Elliot Sandy.

James Jepson swung in a free-kick from the right, Chris Logan challenged for it and it eventually fell for Sandy who could only blast over with the goal at his mercy.

Daventry gradually grew into the first half and a good period of pressure ended with Ross Oulton’s corner being sliced to the far post by James Clifton. And only an excellent stop from Worby prevented Berwick from heading the visitors level.

Almost immediately, Daventry goalkeeper Richard Morris was forced to tip Gooding’s header over the bar after Sandy had flicked on Clifton’s long throw while Sandy was off target again soon after following another Poppies corner.

Daventry pretty carried on from where they ended the first half as they continued to cause problems for the hosts.

Oulton found Ryan Howell, whose shot was parried by Worby with Berwick snuffed out as he looked to pick up the pieces. And Clifton was forced to make a crucial clearing header as Luke Keen closed in on a decent ball in from the lively Berwick.

Kettering did create an opening when Jonathon Thorpe got in behind the visiting defence but he had to stretch for his final shot and Morris got down well to push it away.

But it was Daventry who continued to probe and, as the tension grew in the home crowd, more mistakes and careless passes saw the hosts put themselves under pressure.

The visitors threw on Scott Cross, who played one game for Kettering during the regular season, and he fired wide with two minutes to go after another Oulton free-kick had caused problems.

But, despite some tense moments towards the end including Morris coming up for a long throw, Kettering headed and hacked everything clear.

The final whistle was greeted by scenes of jubilation and a full scale pitch invasion.

Report by Jon Dunham

Match facts

Poppies: Worby; Clifton, Hull, Eze, Kinniburgh; Thorpe, Gooding, Jepson, Logan, Moreman (sub Ogbonna, 77 mins); Sandy (sub Bukasa, 89 mins). Subs not used: Hamilton, Fuller, Osei-Siribour.

Daventry: Morris; Wilkinson, Simpson, Dolman, Blake; Husband (sub Beckley, 75 mins), Howell; Berwick (sub O’Grady, 66 mins), Oulton, Keen (sub Cross, 85 mins); Robinson. Subs not used: Deeney, James.

Referee: Nigel Smith.

Goal: Eze (2 mins, 1-0).

Bookings: Blake, Berwick (both fouls).

Attendance: 1,446.