Disappointing start to 2013 as Daventry are beaten by Rugby Town

RESPECT - the Rugby Town players line up for a minute's silence to pay tribute to the club's former manager Jimmy Knox, who passed away on Christmas Eve
RESPECT - the Rugby Town players line up for a minute's silence to pay tribute to the club's former manager Jimmy Knox, who passed away on Christmas Eve

Daventry Town failed to get 2013 off to the flying start they were hoping for as they lost 2-0 at high-flying Rugby Town on New Year’s Day.

Town became the ninth successive club to suffer defeat to Rugby, who have won every league game they have played since the start of November.

That run has broken a record that had stood for 28 years, and the win against Town was a fitting tribute to commemorate the loss of Rugby legend and former player and manager Jimmy Knox, who passed away on Christmas Eve.

There was a minute’s silence before the game to remember Knox.

He was the club’s most successful manager in his 11 years in charge between 1981 and 1992, taking Rugby to Wembley to win the FA Vase, gaining promotion to the Southern League for the first time, as well as a number of FA Cup heroics

The crowd of just under 400 spectatorsalso applauded during the fifth minute of the game, a number Knox was synonymous with, as a player at the club.

Daventry created the first attempt on goal, but striker Ashley Robinson was unable to get much power in his shot, the ball harmlessly bouncing over the crossbar.

David Kolodynski was very unlucky not to put Rugby Town ahead in the 14th minute, his shot was deflected onto the post and the rebound bounced straight back into the arms of a relieved Daventry goalkeeper Richard Morris.

Robinson, one of six ex-Rugby Town players in the Daventry side, had one of his best games for Dav since arriving from Bedworth Town, holding the ball up well and using his chest and strength to shield the ball, from Rugby defenders.

Unfortunately for Daventry, attacking options continue to look limited.

On-loan striker Robbie Brown, into a month’s loan spell from Nuneaton, created a great chance for himself after 25 minutes, hitting a stunning strike just past the left hand post of Rugby Town keeper David Bevan. Cutting in from the left, Brown found himself some space to hit his shot from about 30 yards, which shaved the post, having beaten the keeper.

The game was goalless at half time, despite Rugby creating the better chances in the first half, it looked like the first goal, would decide this typically hard-fought local derby game.

Kolodynski was beginning to show glimpses of his talent, teasing the Daventry defenders on one occasion by running with the ball into the penalty area, skipping tackles, only to fire wide.

He also came close to scoring with a superb individual effort, which hit the post with Daventry keeper Morris easily beaten.

The breakthrough for Rugby came in the 59th minute, substitute Sam Youngs running free on goal, chipped the onrushing keeper Morris.

Josh Blake prevented Rugby from extending their lead soon after, by heading the ball over his own crossbar, and then Robinson came close to putting Daventry back in to the game, but his header came back off the crossbar, much to the frustration of the Purple Army.

Daventry were desperately pushing players up field to try and get an equaliser, but this left themselves open at the back, and another Fazel Koriya break down the left flank in the final minutes, found the Daventry defence outnumbered, allowing Koriya to pass the ball across field, into the path of Lewis McBride, who stroked the ball in to an open net, on his first team debut from Leighton Town.

Daventry now meet play-off hopefuls Royston Town on Saturday and Aylesbury next Tuesday, both matches at Communications Park.