Daventry show more steel but are unable to end win-less run

Barry Deacon was on target for Daventry Town at Stocksbridge Steels
Barry Deacon was on target for Daventry Town at Stocksbridge Steels

Daventry Town returned from Stocksbridge Steels on the back of a narrow defeat but the return of several players was a boost for the club.

A brace either side of half-time from former Armthorpe Welfare striker Joe Lumsden and a perfectly placed free-kick from Henderson Biggins was enough to give Stocksbridge Steels all three Evo-Stik Northern Premier League points.

With manager Darran Foster ill, assistant manager Neil Champelovier took charge with Kieran Fitzgerald, Jon Bukasa and Karabo Motshweni all returning to boost a side that has now gone four Division One South games without a victory, seeing them drop to 14th in the table.

Champelovier was forced to substitute Ricky Hill after just 15 minutes when the centre back picked up an injury after a collision. Fitzgerald replaced Hill with Dan Childs moving to centre half and Adam Creaney relocating to left-back.

Steels went ahead after 27 minutes when Biggins curled a fine free-kick beyond the reach of keeper Ben Heath. But Daventry levelled within ten minutes, Mitchell Piggon providing the perfect cross for Edilson Panzo-Antonio to slot the ball inside the near post.

An offside-looking Lumsden got the first of his two goals three minutes before halftime to send the Steels into the break with a narrow one-goal advantage, breaking from the halfway line before putting the ball comfortably past Heath.

Within a minute of the restart Lumsden collected a fine through ball to beat Heath, giving Steels a two-goal lead.

But lasted just two minutes when Piggon headed the ball down to Barry Deacon whose first time volley gave the Steels keeper no chance.

Midfielder Rob Prinzel almost levelled but his first time effort grazed the crossbar with another close effort minutes later.

Captain Jason Lee was also called upon to clear a Steels’ shot off his own goal line at the other end.

With ten minutes remaining striker Panzo-Antonio thought he had earned Daventry a deserved share of the points but his shot was ruled not to have crossed the line before being cleared despite appeals from the visiting players, officials and supporters