Cross double sees Town seal victory

DAVENTRY Town again relied upon a double from Cross when beating Marlow 3-1 at Communications Park on Saturday to add to the midweek victory over Leighton Town by a similar margin.

All the goals came in a scintillating first-half as Scott Cross struck twice early on to supplement a brace of goals against Leighton for the former Northampton Town striker.

Three up after only 16 minutes, the Town moved to within four points of Central Division leaders Bedworth United who were lying in wait for Mark Kinsella’s men at The Oval on Bank Holiday Monday.

Meanwhile there was a new spring in the step, even an extra yard of pace for Cross as he went about his business against Marlow.

Whatever the cause the response was electric.

In the fourth minute a tantalising run to the by-line by Cross forced visiting defender Jon Case to turn the ball into his own net before the Town number nine produced copycat goals himself in the sixth and 16th minutes.

On both occasions Cross showed excellent ball control to pull down pinpoint centres from much-improved right-back Lewis Bishop.

First he walloped the ball into the roof of the net, then came a delicate roll past stranded Marlow goalkeeper Charles Fanner.

Signed from Slough Town in midweek, Fanner still managed to play a blinder on his debut when bringing off fingertip saves to deny both James Travis and Nathan Hicks before John Gray reduced Marlow’s arrears with a sweetly struck 20-yard free-kick.

Marlow then had the better of things for a period after half-time but life became increasingly difficult for both teams as a second thunderstorm caused waterlogging and led to the floodlights being switched on at 4.15pm in August.

Fresh legs were eventually provided by substitutes Chris Hannah and Adam Confue as the clock ticked down on an improved performance which brought smiles to the faces of manager Kinsella, his righthand man Andy Reece and most of all a healthy crowd numbering 184.

With back-to-back victories over Leighton and Marlow the Town were left only four points adrift of Monday’s opponents Bedworth and nearing peak form in preparation for this Saturday’s long-awaited FA Cup tie at Woodford Halse.