Bucks lose out by a single goal

LONG Buckby saw their FA Cup campaign slip up when they suffered a 2-1 defeat against Kidsgrove Athletic.

On a bright and sunny afternoon in North Staffordshire, the home team took the initiative from the off and keeper Watts had to be alert to prevent an early strike from the home team.

Buckby launched an attack from the ever-reliable Kelly and the home team cleared the cross for a corner.

The battle between Russell Dunkley and the Kidsgrove back four continued unabated throughout the first-half and he continued to try to provide amunition for all around him to no avail.

Chances came at both ends but neither keeper was troubled.

The game was being played mostly in midfield and Bunting and Quigley were being kept busy.

Few chances came and at half-time Buckby were not only level but well within causing an upset.

Buckby came out for the second-half determined and Russell Dunkley connected with a header within two minutes of the restart and it was deflected for a corner by a desperate defence.

The game was a typical cup encounter with both sides willing to take chances to realise their dreams.

Kidsgrove took the lead after 52 minutes when following a series of free kicks Kinsey connected with a cross that gave Watts no chance.

The goal seemed to lift the home team and they kept the pressure on.

Buckby introduced Rob Foster at the expense of Josh Davis on 60 minutes. This involved a change in the team with Koriya moving right to enable Foster to join Dunkley in attack.

Chances came and went at both ends before Fazel Koriya brought Buckby level on 72 minutes following a left-wing move involving Kelly and Foster which enabled the ball to reach Koriya. He drew the keeper and shot high into the net to equalise.

The equality only lasted for five minutes until substitute Mark Beeston scored with a header that keeper Watts seemed to have covered to restore Kidsgrove’s lead.

Buckby introduced Andy Gordon at the expense of Greg Ling and the pressure continued. Foster, Dunkley and in the last minute Wilkinson all had chances but were unable to reap their reward.