Buckby battle to deserved win

LONG Buckby finally got back on the winning trial with a hard-fought victory with the winner coming in the final two minutes.

The game was very open with both sides prepared to play free-flowing football and it was a very entertaining game.

Yaxley had the better of the early exchanges with an early free kick and corner that was cleared.

Nkosi Mzungwana found himself clear for Buckby but didn’t manage to get a decent shot on target.

Buckby keeper Ash Malhorta sustained a hand injury and following extensive treatment he carried on. It was a good job as he produced a couple of stunning saves to deny the visitors.

On 34 minutes a great move down the right involving Mzungwana, Storher and Dupree resulted in a Nathan Wills shot over the bar.

Good pressure also resulted in Gary Storher firing wide when well placed.

Buckby took the lead on 43 minutes, when great work on the left between Tom Gilbey and Nkosi Mzungwana resulted in Louis Dupree firing the home team into the lead.

As half-time approached, the home team had more opportunities to increase their lead as both Mike Houghton and Gary Storher had good chances but it was not to be.

There was still time for Liam O’Neill to put Ash Malhorta into trouble with a poor back pass, but he kept a clean sheet going into the break.

The visitors came out firing at the start of the second half and Adam Rothery shot through a crowd of players and brought Yaxley level within 40 seconds of the second-half.

The home team were stunned by the equaliser and tried to push forward but were punished again as Ondre Odain powered through the middle unchallenged to give Yaxley the lead on 53 minutes.

Manager Scott Goodwin made a couple of changes, and brought himself on at the expense of Jean Deboori. But despite constant pressure they couldn’t break down a resilient defence.

On 74 minutes, Mike Houghton ran clear of the last defender and was brought down as he approached the area.

From the resulting free kick Yaxley survived.

Two minutes later great work down the left by Tom Gilbey resulted a in a low cross that was turned into the net at the second attempt by Mike Houghton.

Buckby were peppering the Yaxley box with ball after ball and were eventually rewarded on 88 minutes.

A ball into the box found Louis Dupree and as he turned he collided with a defender and the ball ended in the net, giving the home team a deserved victory.

The teams meet again in seven days at Leading Grove.