Brackley dump holders Daventry out of Hillier Senior Cup

ON TARGET - Daventry's Dior Angus
ON TARGET - Daventry's Dior Angus

Brackley Town came from a goal down at half time to knock out Hillier Cup holders Daventry 2-1 at St James’s Park on Tuesday.

Strikes from former Daventry striker Will Green and centre back Greg Pearson were enough for Saints.

Daventry had taken an early lead after just 10 minutes, a miss-hit shot from striker Luke Keen ran out to Dior Angus whose slotted past veteran goalkeeper Billy Turley.

Daventry keeper Richard Morris, who was taken off at half-time with an injury, made an excellent save from Green.

In the second half, Josh O’Grady wasted a chance to put Daventry 2-0 up but blasted his shot over, and Brackley then equalised through Green, before they took the lead through Pearson.

In the last minute, Chris Carruthers cleared a Kieran Fitzgerald effort off the line, and Luke Keen saw his header saved, but Brackley held on.

Match Facts

Brackley Town 2 Daventry Town 1

Tuesday 23rd September 2014

Northants Hillier Senior Cup

Location: St James`s Park, Brackley

Daventry: Richard Morris (Ben Heath 46mins), Ashley Deeney, Josh Blake, Ollie Wilkinson (Capt), Martin Hutchcox, Ross Oulton, Dior Angus (Josh O`Grady 42mins), Joe Power, Barry Deacon (Ryan Howell 71stmins), Luke Keen, Kieran Fitzgerald

Subs: not used – Nathan Haines,

Cards: Yellow: Richard Morris (32mins), Martin Hutchcox (26mins),

Scorer: Dior Angus (10mins)

Man of the Match: Kieran Fitzgerald

Attendance: 90

DAVENTRY Town were left to rue a string of missed chances as they drew 0-0 with Northwood in Division One Central on Saturday.

They created numerous scoring opportunities, but were thwarted throughout.

Daventry should have scored three time in the first 15 minutes but early chances were wasted by Dior Angus , Tommy Berwick and Nathan Haines

Further first-half efforts from Angus and Fitzgerald were well saved by Laurencin, before Northwood started to launch some attacks of their own, but Daventry goalkeeper Ben Heath did well to make a couple of imporant stops.

Ross Oulton looked as though he had done enough to score but once again keeper Laurencin dived low to his right to turn his shot around the post, and Angus was provided with another clear header at the far post but unfortunately put it wide.

The match continued to follow a similar pattern after the break, with Daventry pressing and Northwood resisting.

Oulton placed a shot wide and Josh Blake headed over, before with 12 minutes remaining Kieran Fitzgerald ran free on goal with only the keeper to beat but was upended by Northwood player manager Mark Burgess, who was red carded.

Daventry continued to pepper the Northwood goal but couldn’t break through and it ended 0-0.

On Saturday, Daventry travel to bottom-of-the-table AFC Hayes

Match Facts

Daventry Town 0 Northwood 0

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Competition: Southern League Central Division Location: Communications Park

Daventry: Ben Heath, Ashley Deeney, Josh Blake, Nathan Haines, Ollie Wilkinson (Capt), Ross Oulton, Dior Angus, Josh O`Grady, Ryan Howell, Tommy Berwick (Luke Keen 74mins), Kieran Fitzgerald

Subs: not used – Richard Morris, Barry Deacon, Joe Power, Martin Hutchcox

Cards: Yellow: Ryan Howell (35mins)

Scorer: None

Man of the Match: Ollie Wilkinson

Attendance: 106