Another defeat but Daventry’s fate is already sealed

Daventry Town keeper Ben Heath was in top form against Stocksbridge Steels
Daventry Town keeper Ben Heath was in top form against Stocksbridge Steels

After a week of turmoil at Communications Park, it must have come as some relief for Daventry Town to get back to matters on the pitch.

With the resignations of manager Darran Foster, assistant manager Neil Champelovier and club secretary Nigel Foster, plus several players leaving, there were doubts Daventry could fulfil Saturday’s Evo-Stik Northern Premier League fixture against Stcoksbridge Steels.

The situation looked even bleaker when it was disclosed the club had resigned their position from the Northern Premier League and applied for a return to the UCL First Division, where they were ten years ago.

It looked as though the club would be unable to complete its remaining six fixtures but the town’s football community rallied round and several local players volunteered their services to ensure Saturday’s Division One South fixture went ahead.

A statement from the Northern Premier League read: ‘The League can confirm that a Letter of Resignation has been received from Daventry Town FC and has been accepted by the Board of Directors.

‘The club has requested to be placed at Step 6 of the National League System by the Football Association effective from the end of the current Season 2015/2016. In accordance with the regulations, Daventry Town FC will assume the bottom relegation position of the Evo-Stik First Division South at the end of the current season.’

On the field, Steels took a 20th minute lead when Luke Barson bought down Rory Coleman and the Steels striker stroked the ensuing spot-kick past captain Ben Heath. But eight minutes later Edilson Panzo-Antonio and Kenrick Miller combined for Jetmir Esso to score a deserved equaliser.

Heath made several crucial saves and Ashley Bradshaw clipped the top of the bar with a fine effort from 30 yards. But Harrison Biggins restored Steels’ lead seven minutes after the restart and Keegan Burton completed the victory in the 72nd minute.

Daventry make the short trip to Rugby Town for Tuesday’s rearranged derby and next Saturday travel to play off hopefuls Basford United.