Firsts miss out in tough test

Share this article

LONG Buckby Firsts missed out in their David and Goliath battle against league-leaders Peterborough Lions.

Bottom-of-the-table Buckby had conceded a kickable penalty in the first minutes, which the visitors cashed in for three easy points.

The home team made amends two minutes later by putting Peterborough under such pressure in their own 22 they dropped the ball and allowed Johnny Hughes to score under the posts.

Ben Gilbert added the extras bringing the tally to 7-3.

Minutes later the hosts conceded another penalty. This time Peterborough got themselves over the line and converted to go three points clear at 7-10.

Buckby retaliated immediately with a penalty of their own, ably-slotted by Ben Gilbert. The scores were now equal at 10 all.

Peterborough were gifted a line out from which they sealed another seven points for 10-17.

The visitors then conceding a penalty which allowed fly-half Adrian Flynn to find good touch close to the opposition line.

A series of three penalties saw Long Buckby’s prop Tim Lewis scoring in the corner bringing the score to 15-17.

The visitors managed a further three points from a penalty to bring the half to a close at 15-20.

The second-half opened with Peterborough ablaze after some inspirational advice from their coach.

Play remained balanced for the first 15 minutes but then Peterborough exploited their dominance at the scrum to score a well-deserved try.

No conversion but the visitors were still 10 points ahead at 15-25.

Buckby soon retaliated by winning a line-out in the opposition 22, moving the ball quickly leaving Johnny Nixon to do the rest and run in a fine try in the corner.

A difficult conversion was expertly struck by Ben Gilbert to bring the score to 22-25.

Then the home team’s fortunes took a turn for the worse when their number eight was binned for illegally interfering with play.

Peterborough exploited their one-man advantage and the visitors scored a further two tries, bringing the final score to 22-37.

Long Buckby Colts got the year off to a fine start with this emphatic 29-10 away win over Stockwood Park.

Despite a depleted squad, the result never looked in doubt.

Long Buckby forwards stole the show and dominated the score sheet.

Man of the match was David Wardle.