Battling to the whistle

No way forward: A player finds his path blocked.
No way forward: A player finds his path blocked.

BUCKBY went into this important league game on the crest of an unbeaten 15-game run but succumbed to a vigorous side who held on to their lead in the last quarter.

The home side started strongly putting Buckby on the back foot and kicking a penalty after five minutes.

Buckby continued to make errors and lose important positions while the home side settled for disruption, leading to two more penalties.

Then 25 minutes into the game Buckby were awarded a penalty which Jack Keightley converted. But he suffered a serious-looking ankle injury a few minutes later and was carried off.

The score remained 9-3 to the home side until half-time.

St Andrews extended their lead when their speedy backs picked up a weak Buckby kick and combined well to put their centre over in the corner.

This provoked a response from Buckby who with a swift movement of the ball to the left wing saw Jake Toseland go on a 40-metre sprint to the corner to score.

This was the last score of the game, and although Buckby finished the stronger, they took the wrong options or lost the ball at critical times which enabled St Andrews to snuff out all their attacking efforts.

Injuries also took their toll for Buckby with Keightley and two props suffering. Buckby now have to regroup and win their next game against Old Newtonians at home.

BBOBs Thirds 12 Long Buckby Seconds 21

Buckby travelled to BBOBs for their toughest league fixture of the season. BBOBs were top of the league but Buckby Seconds have been unbeaten in the league this season and had two games in hand.

Buck held up well in the scrummages and continuously applied pressure to their opposition but could not find their way to the try line. Eventually a Johnny Palmer penalty broke the deadlock.

JP then doubled the lead before Buckby finally scored the first try of the match when Johnny Hughes touched down.

BBOBs struck back almost immediately when sloppy defending let them through to narrow Buckby’s hard-earned lead.

The second-half saw BBOB make good use of their bench to keep the pressure on Buckby’s tiring forwards. Another JP penalty and a good try for BBs left Buckby with a narrow 16-12 lead going into the last quarter.

With BBOBs backline tackling well and proving difficult to break it took a searing run from Phil Elliot to secure the win when he broke through to score the final points of the day.

BBOBs spent the last 10 minutes camped on Buckby’s line but the defence held firm until the final whistle.

Tries: J. Hughes, P. Elliot. Conversions: J. Palmer. Penalties: J. Palmer (2). Man of the match was Sam Evans.