A NEW action group has been formed to bolster a campaign against new homes in Long Buckby.
Buckby Residents Against Controversial Estates (BRACE) has been formed to fight against plans for two separate housing estates to be built in Station Road.
The first meeting took place on Friday last week and the group was happy with how the first meeting went.
BRACE’s Liz Barnard said: “We had around 60 people turn up for the meeting and we had a lot of apologies from people who would have been there.
“What this meeting has given us is a clear mandate from people in the village with the majority saying that they do not want new homes in the village.”
The first scheme the group will be fighting is plans for 132 homes on the west side of Station Road. An appeal against the refusal made by Daventry District Council will be heard at a planning inquiry in September.
Campaigners are also anticipating an appeal against a decision to refuse 107 homes on the opposite side.
Mrs Barnard added: “We are not against extra homes in the village as long as they are in the right location within the village confines and do not put pressure on local amenities which would not be able to cope.
“However, these estates are outside the village and would change the setting enormously if they were given the go-ahead.
“We have a formed committee and we will be having to do a lot of research over the summer and make sure we are ready to fight when the inquiry starts.”
Daventry MP Chris Heaton-Harris who has been made the group’s honourary president said: “I was asked to help out because I have been contacted by so many people concerned about these developments
“I think the group has a good chance if they are organised and present a good argument to the planning inspectorate.
“The application for 132 homes is very speculative.”
n Email views to editorial@ daventryexpress.co.uk