Tributes after tragic death of Daventry man

Carl Lamont with Elizabeth Allen
Carl Lamont with Elizabeth Allen

Tributes have been paid to a 36-year-old man from Daventry after an inquest was held into his death.

Carl Lamont was found dead where he was living at the May Day Trust’s Posthouse in Warwick Street on June 19 last year.

He had previously been taken in by Elizabeth Allen, who helps homeless people get back on track.

Speaking at his inquest, on Tuesday, Mrs Allen said: “I met Carl through one of the street churches. I worked with them to take in people that 
have been homeless but are ready to move on, so I’m kind of a halfway house. Carl was living on the streets at that time.

After living with Mrs Allen, Mr Lamont moved into the May Day Trust’s Posthouse in February last year.

“I spent a lot of time with him the day before he died. We spent time talking and laughing and praying. That day was just lovely.

Speaking after the hearing Mrs Allen said: “He called me grandma, and I called him grandson. I really did care for him – I loved him.”

Thirty-six-year-old Carl Lamont became ‘withdrawn’ and depressed in the months before he took his own life, an inquest was told last week.

Elizabeth Allen said: “Carl had a great sense of humour, that’s one reason we got on so well. But he was also a paranoid schizophrenic.

“He took great pride in the jobs he did. He left school without qualifications, but he was intelligent even if he didn’t think he was.”

After staying at Mrs Allen’s, a room opened up at the May Day Trust’s Posthouse in Daventry in February last year. Mr Lamont had been looking forward to the move, which he viewed as the next step in his life. However, after arriving in Daventry he started to become withdrawn and depressed.

Mrs Allen said: “I visited every day. He used to come out with me for drives, but I didn’t want him to become dependant on me. He stopped going out, and started drinking again. I could see he was depressed. He spoke to his neighbour, but didn’t want to talk to the others at The Posthouse.

The inquest was told Mr Lamont called Mrs Allen on June 18 asking her to take him to a police station.

Mrs Allen said: “Carl often imagined he had done things when he hadn’t. I didn’t think taking him to the police station would help.

“He was angry with me, but said ‘I love you’ at the end of the call.

“Looking back I think it may have been a crime he committed years ago that he wanted off his conscience,” he added.

Mr Lamont’s father Duncan told the inquest: “Carl had a daughter, but was separated from the mother.

“He was mostly a sad person, but was happy sometimes.

“The day before, we spoke on the phone and he seemed normal and gave no hint of what he would do.”

At 8.10am on June 19 police officers were called to The Posthouse in Warwick Street, Daventry.

Carl Lamont had died after he hanged himself from his bedroom window on the front of the property in full view of the public.

Paramedics forced their way into Mr Lamont’s room, but there was nothing they could do to save him.

The fire service was called to screen Mr Lamont’s body, and the road was closed.

Describing seeing how Mr Lamont lived, PC Quinn said: “From his room I’d say Carl had been living an existence.

“His room was bare, as was his fridge. The air in the room was stale.

“I remember feeling sad that somebody could be living like this.”

Coroner Ann Pember summed up by saying: “Carl James Lamont was only 36 years old and one would have hoped had his whole life ahead of him.

“I believe that when he was depressed he came to the conclusion that he did not want to live any longer.

“I will record that Mr Lamont killed himself while the balance of his mind was disturbed.”