Seven-minute spell seals Bucks’ victory

Captain Deej Fair making his powerful break which led to Craig Mason's try
Captain Deej Fair making his powerful break which led to Craig Mason's try

SEVEN minutes of sublime rugby was enough to see off a spirited Bedford Queens at Buckby.

Playing with the gale and the slope, Buckby forced Queens to fumble from the kick off, but they did the same from the resultant scrum.

Several other chances went begging until their persistence was rewarded when Jack Keightley forced his way over after 20 minutes.

Within two minutes, Jake Toseland and Johnny Nixon combined speed to put Titch Ryan over.

Rampaging forward play then allowed Tom Evans to cut through from the wing to score by the posts.

Straight from the kick-off, captain Deej Fair received a well-timed pass from Blake Wintle and his powerful break put in Craig Mason.

The Buckby pack again poured through from the next kick-off and this time Titch Ryan raced over for his second try. Jack Keightley converted three. The seven minutes were over.

Buckby then took their foot off the pedal and the score stayed at 31-0 until half-time.

Queens changed their game plan after the break resulting in a try from their forwards.

Denied of the ball, Buckby defended extremely well and tried to break out of their own half when they could, until replacement centre, Nathan Maddox, grabbed the ball which gave Buckby the momentum to put Simon Oakey over in the corner.

Against the still raging gale Buckby were again pinned back and despite breaking out several times conceded a second try in the final minute.

They came off the field battered and bruised with several walking wounded who hopefully will be fit for next week’s important away game versus Rugby St Andrews.

Man of the match was Craig Mason.

Long Buckby Seconds 21 Leighton Buzzards Development XV 17

Long Buckby Seconds faced a tough match against Leighton Buzzards development XV.

This was a young Midlands One development side with a few old heads thrown in for good measure and they looked a useful outfit.

Buckby started brightly with powerful forward play up the right flank and quick hands in the backs resulting in an early try in the corner for Nick Twigg.

Buckby then lost their focus and sloppy tackling let Leighton Buzzard through almost immediately to take a narrow lead.

In the later stages of the game Buckby’s indiscipline cost them yards on too many occasions.

Credit goes to the young Leighton Buzzard players who carried on regardless and kept pressure on Buckby for the whole 80 minutes.

Having been behind at half- time, Buckby struck back to level the scores and then took the lead through a Johnny Palmer penalty before another well-worked try took Buckby clear.

Again Buckby’s indiscipline let Leighton Buzzard back into the game when they scored another try of their own to make Buckby work for their victory in the final few minutes.

Man of the match was Steff Darkes.