Among the many motor exhibits on show at the Old Ordnance Depot at Weedon last Sunday was a splendid Shell-Mex petrol tanker.
Although looking fantastic in the sunlight, visitors may not have realised the vehicle’s history.
The 1954 Bedford ‘S’type 2,000 gallon articulated tanker had been restored by Andy Usher of Watford.
The tanker trailer stood as a fuel bowser for farm machinery at Manor Farm in Weedon, right opposite the current BP garage on the A5 for many years before being saved by Weedon Bec History Society vice-chairman, Chris Salaman at the 11th hour – The Manor Farm site developers gave Chris a week to find a suitable buyer before calling in the scrapman.
A buyer was found with only hours to spare. It subsequently passed through a couple of more hands before Andy acquired.