Pair rescued after fire in village flats

Flat fire, Riverside Drive, Weedon
Flat fire, Riverside Drive, Weedon
Share this article

TWO people had to be rescued after fire broke out at a block of flats on Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in Riverside Drive, Weedon at 8.15am.

A woman who’s flat had caught fire had to be rescued by the crew and taken to hospital.

She is recovering from smoke inhalation but has no serious injuries.

And a disabled man who was trapped on the second floor had to be lifted out through a window by firefighters.

Neighbour Sameer Mirza lives in the opposite the flat.

He said: “It was about 8am and I was making a cup of tea when my neighbour knocked on the door to say the flat opposite was on fire.

“We could see smoke coming out of the letter box and we then struggled to get to the woman’s front door because there was a mobility scooter blocking it.

“We eventually got in and she was thankfully upstairs sleeping. If she was downstairs when the fire had started I think it could have been a lot worse.

“The fire brigade arrived soon after and we were all evacuated from the building for an hour or so.

“The smoke was thick and black.

“There is a disabled man living upstairs who can’t walk very far, so he had to be carried out of the window by firefighters on a ladder.

“It’s lucky the building is concrete because otherwise the fire could have spread very quickly and we all could have died.”

A spokesman for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue said: “The fire caused significant damage to the ground floor of the block and smoke damage to other floors.”

The fire was caused by an electrical fault at the property..