Liam Robinson, aged 31, died on October 3 last year in Northampton General Hospital (NGH) after he was found unconscious near his home in The Slip in Brixworth.
During an inquest at Northampton County Hall yesterday, senior coronor for Northamptonshire Anne Pember recorded a verdict of accidental death, caused by organ failure, aspiration pneumonia and drug overdose.
Mr Robinson, who was both a fighter and trainer, was ranked 16th in the world by the International Kickboxing Federation and had been named British, European and World champion numerous times.
He had been taking some medication to deal with pain from a previous neck injury.
Names of 56 people and one transport firm from Northampton, Daventry Moulton, Silverstone and Long Buckby sentenced in court
Daventry man turning 100 says ‘don’t worry about what you can’t control’
Bodycam footage shows police breaking into hot car to free distressed dog stuck in high temperatures
Who’s been in court from Northampton, Daventry, Upton, Great Billing and charged with possession of weapons and drugs, threatening behaviour and drink-driving
Motorist repeatedly kicked during shocking road rage incident in Daventry
In a statement read during the inquest, Mr Robinson’s wife, Pardeep said: “He was outgoing, sociable and charismatic and he had many friends from all countries and all cultures.
“He enjoyed travelling, for his work and in his free time. We had been planning some holidays and he had been working on building a pond in the garden.”
Before he died, Mr Robinson told his wife he was going for a run to “clear his head” following work-related stress. When he didn’t return, she became anxious and went to look for him with his brother, Scott, but was unsuccessful and tried to contact him by phone.
He was found early the next morning in Brixworth Country park by Jill Burwood, who was walking her dog with friends. She called the emergency services, who tried to warm him up and took him to NGH.
His condition continued to deterioate due to what Dr Matthew Outram, an intensive care consultant at the hospital, described as a “significant overdose” of painkilling drugs, which contributed to organ damage.
Mrs Robinson said she “whole heartedly believed” that her husband had not intended to take his own life, and Mrs Pember concluded: “I am not satisfied that Mr Robinson made a firm resolve to end his life.”