Electrical fault blamed for dramatic town centre van blaze

editorial image

An electrical fault caused a white van to burst into flames outside a mail depot in Vicar Lane in Daventry yesterday.

The driver, working for the Alpine Carpet warehouse, pulled over when the van began smoking, at 11.20am, and tried to extinguish it with the help of postman Mark Merrill. Mr Merrill said: “We tried to get the extinguisher under the bonnet but it was too far gone and the van went up in smoke.”The shocked driver was then sent home from work. A spokesperson for Alpine Carpets said: “The driver owned the van himself, it was his livelihood and how he got around. We will be lending him a van in the mean time so he can continue working.” The van was empty at the time of the fire and caused only superficial damage to one other nearby vehicle.