Daventry teenager accused of murder ‘listened to music’ while friend lay downstairs bleeding to death

Stanley Harrison NNL-141212-162726001
Stanley Harrison NNL-141212-162726001

An 18-year-old Daventry man accused of murder went upstairs to his bedroom to listen to music while his childhood friend lay downstairs bleeding to death, a court heard.

On the second day of the trial of Haranaryan ‘Ryan’ Johal, from Daventry, the jury heard evidence from two witnesses who were at the house in Newbury Drive on the town’s Lang Farm estate when 17-year-old Stanley Harrison was stabbed.

Northampton Crown Court heard evidence from a witness, who cannot be named for legal reasons, who said Johal began shouting “I’ve killed him, now I’m going to jail” after inflicting the fatal wound in Stanley’s neck.

The witness said Johal went upstairs shortly after the stabbing and could be heard listening to loud music.

On the first day of the trial (Thursday) the jury was also shown a ‘selfie’ video that Johal made in his bedroom minutes after the incident, in which he said he’d “stabbed his best mate”.

The court was also told that Johal’s auntie, who lived next door, attempted to stem the blood flow from Stanley’s wound with a towel.

The jury heard on Friday from a witness who said they became annoyed with Johal’s behaviour after the fatal stabbing.

The witness said: “I was in the kitchen and could hear music upstairs. I was like ‘what you doing upstairs listening to music while your best friend is bleeding to death’.”

The witness said the scene at the house was like “something from a horror film”.

Evidence was also given by Rhys Hamed, aged 19, a friend of Stanley and Johal, who had been drinking with them in the early hours of June 14.

Mr Hamed said he had joined Stanley and Johal at about midnight and a few hours later an argument between Stanley and Johal had “got out of hand” and he attempted to intervene.

Mr Hamed said he saw that Johal had an eight-inch kitchen knife in his hand and was trying to “punch and slash” towards Stanley’s face.

He said: “I saw the knife in Ryan’s hand facing upwards and I put my hand in front of Stanley’s face to stop him getting cut.”

The court heard that Mr Hamed suffered an injury to a finger as a result of his intervention and he then took the opportunity to disarm Ryan of the knife when he fell to the floor.

Mr Hamed said: “I saw he had the knife in his hand on the floor. I stood on his forearm and kicked the knife out of his hand.”

The jury heard that Mr Hamed then pushed Stanley out of the house and told him to leave.

But he said that, seconds later, Johal “lunged” towards Stanley through the open door with the knife and stabbed him just above the collar bone.

Mr Hamed said: “Ryan shut the door. He had the knife in his hand and he turned round to me and said ‘I’ve killed my best friend.’ He then threw the knife away.”

He told the court that “after a few seconds” Ryan opened the door and Stanley was slumped in the doorway.

Mr Hamed said he was the one who phoned for an ambulance.

Johal denies a charge of murder. The case continues.