A chemical manufacturing company from Daventry has been fined for exposing its employees to a range of hazardous chemicals.
One member of staff, a 46-year-old despatch officer, was diagnosed with occupational asthma and rhinitis after handling a variety of toxic substances, mainly in liquid form, that were classed as hazardous to health at Endeavour Speciality Chemicals Ltd. They are used for flavouring and smell purposes in food production.
The female employee is now no longer able to work with chemicals and has been found another job within the firm.
Northampton Magistrates’ Court was told on Friday, December 21, how employees were required to manually pour substances into containers ready for despatch to customers. Necessary ventilation and appropriate organisation of the workplace had not been provided.
A Health and Safety Executive investigation found the company had failed to assess the risk of ill health from packing operations involving chemicals, and had also failed to implement the necessary control measures required to prevent, or adequately control employees’ exposure.
Endeavour Speciality Chemicals Ltd, of Low March Industrial Estate, Daventry, admitted breaching Regulations 6(1), and 7(1) of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 and was fined a total of £15,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,000.