Buckby miss out in final

editorial image

BUCKBY’S now familiar slow start eventually cost them the game in this fierce and fascinating contest at Franklin’s Gardens.

Within the first minutes and without warning, the referee yellow carded Ian Tuckley for killing the ball near the Buckby line and Bugbrooke took full advantage a minute later by driving over for a try.

At this stage, they looked much the sharper in all departments and it was no surprise when their speedy winger received an inside pass from a scrum on Buckby’s 22 to speed straight through the inside channel untouched for a try under the posts.

At 12-0 the writing seemed to be on the wall for Buckby. But from that moment onwards they began to respond better at the breakdowns, scrums and line-outs which created a penalty chance for Dan McNally which he kicked. The game was back on.

After the break Buckby threw everything at Bugbrooke, but crucially still lost balls at important breakdowns giving Bugbrooke a lifeline which they grimly hung on to. Buckby continued to exert tremendous pressure and from one quick ball Adrian Flynn’s break almost led to a score in the corner.

As the last quarter started Buckby fashioned a series of rucks and mauls and from one of these Timmy Dixon was driven over.

But the referee said the ball was held up but Tim was spread all over it as the ruck unfolded. On such decisions a match can be won or lost.

Bugbrooke broke out of their 22 a couple of times but Buckby forced them back to allow Dan McNally to drop a goal. Throughout the second half infringements abounded from Bugbrooke and after giving warnings the referee gave a yellow card.

The final whistle went, much to the relief of Bugbrooke and great disappointment from Buckby.

Buckby can be very proud of their efforts in this game and will have learnt what to expect in the league above next season after games against ONs, Scouts and now Bugbrooke.

Everyone at Buckby is eager for the new season to begin but to get ready for this a good attendance is required at the annual meeting on Thursday, June 30 at 7.30pm.