Bench unveiled as memorial to teens

A MEMORIAL bench has been installed at a burial ground in memory of two teenagers who died in car accidents.

Christopher Lawson and Jason Eaton, who were both from Crick, died in separate accidents.

Friends and relatives gathered at the village’s burial ground to unveil the bench on Sunday.

Jason, 17, of Oak Lane, died in October 2010 when he was the passenger in a Toyota Corolla which hit fencing and a hedge on the road between Watford and West Haddon.

Christopher Lawson, 19, died after accepting the offer of a lift from an acquaintance back in November 2008.

The car was travelling along the A428 between West Haddon and Crick, when it crashed head-on into a Mazda MX5. Christopher was pronounced dead at the scene.

Jason’s mother Marina said: “The memorial bench has come about because a lot of people in the village have got behind it and supported fundraising initiatives that we have held.

“I think there were a lot of people who wanted to help because these were two young lads both from the village who lost their lives in very similar circumstances and it will be nice to remember them.”

Other money that has been raised has been donated to the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance and Brake, the road safety charity which supported the Eaton family after the accident.

Christopher’s mother Elaine told the Daventry Express: “I love the new bench and I am really pleased with it.

“There has been a lot of hard work carried out by people to raise the funds for the bench and from people in the area.

“Christopher was a wonderful son, he was full of life and absolutely lived for the moment.

“He would have been thrilled by the bench.

Ty Deakin, 28, of High Street, Yelvertoft, was imprisoned in January 2010 for six years after pleading guilty to causing the death of Christopher by dangerous driving. He is also banned from driving until 2017.

George Robinson, 18, of Naseby Road, Clipston, was sentenced to 18 months’ detention and banned from driving for two years last month after admitting causing death by dangerous driving of Jason Eaton.