Battling Buckby seal victory at whistle

Long Buckby firsts in action at Station Road
Long Buckby firsts in action at Station Road

HAVING not played for two weeks, both sides came close to scoring, but good defending kept the scores blank until Jack Keightley slotted a penalty on the stroke of half-time.

The second-half was a different story, however, with the Buckby pack providing plenty of quick ball which was well used by half backs Titch Ryan and Keightley.

Centres Simon Dixon and Simon Oakey took all the opposition threw at them, as well as creating space for the back three of Ed Sitch, Johnny Nixon and the mercurial Jake Toseland whose audacious changes of pace and dummying were so pleasing to watch.

Titch Ryan was the first to score within five minutes, being put in by Si Dixon. Keightley converted.

Five minutes later Dixon scored himself and Keightley converted. The visitors’ fly-half then kicked a penalty, but Johnny Nixon scored in the corner to extend the lead.

Si Oakey was next on the scoreboard, touching down on the opposite side and this was followed by Nixon’s second and in the dying minutes, by Adrian Flynn. Keightley converted the final try.

The home sponsors and supporters were certainly entertained by the confidence and speed of the Buckby team up to the final whistle.

Buckby finish this half of the season with a visit to Rushden and Higham next followed by their Nativity play back at Station Road.

Man of the Match was Matthew Gibbs

LBRFC Seconds 50 BBOB Thirds 0

On paper, after two weeks’ enforced rest due to the weather, this was tough return to action as Buckby took on the league leaders BBOB at Station Road.

However, with a solid pack and exciting back line they still went into the game quietly confident.

Both sides missed early penalty opportunities before winger Craig Darkes went in for the opening try. This was quickly followed by a Ben Thomas’ solo effort after Steve Cantrill fed him from a penalty five yards out from his own line and by half-time Buckby were 17-0 up with Jamie Ashby bagging the first of his two tries and Dan McNally converting.

The second-half followed a similar pattern with the BBOB three quarters making useful breaks but the Buckby pack got the better of their opposition in the loose and the set piece.

Tom Evans scored the home side’s fourth try after a great cross kick by Ben Thomas and Rob Cantrill made it 22-0 when he was tackled short but his momentum carried him over. Jonny Palmer took over the kicking duties and made it 29-0.

The final quarter brought a hat-trick of tries by Jamie Ashby, Nathan Maddox and Ben Thomas all of which were converted to make it 50-0. The last five minutes saw BBOB given a series of penalties only five metres out but each one being repelled by a determined defence.

Man of the match was Fred Saunders.