Battling Buckby off to dream start

Ian Matts scoring the first try of the match
Ian Matts scoring the first try of the match

LONG Buckby visited top-of-the-table Oadby Wyggestonians and came home with a single but valuable losing bonus point.

They got off to a dream start within five minutes when the home side fly-half dropped the ball under pressure.

This was snapped up by Matthew Gibbs who quickly fed Simon Dixon. He made ground before giving captain, Deej Fair, the scoring pass.

This was the best of the first half for Buckby, who could not impose themselves on the much larger Oadby forwards. The referee penalised Buckby several times of which two were converted by half-time.

Playing down the slope in the second half but with the drizzle getting heavier, Buckby were soon further behind with another penalty, before Adrian Flynn closed the gap with one of his own.

Buckby were now getting a little more ball and tried everything to break the home line. Unfortunately, from one move the ball went to ground allowing the home winger to hack through and catch the ball.

Diving for the corner, he was well tackled and turned over by the Buckby defence, but the unsighted referee, 30 metres away, awarded the try. The fly half converted.

Spurred on from the kick-off Buckby fought their way downfield and from one ruck Adrian Flynn put up a huge kick which Richard Ryan followed up, winning the race for the touchdown. Flynn converted.

With one point in it there was a last 10 minutes of frenzied play but the home side kept their cool and conceded nothing.

This was another disappointment with Buckby needing to recover, put this behind them and ensure they beat Daventry at home in their next match.

Man of the Match was Tim Dixon.

Long Buckby Seconds 45 Wellingborough OG’s Seconds 12

After the disappointment of last week’s cup defeat to Rugby St Andrews it was important for Bucks second team to bounce back as they returned to league action.

They did so in style against a much bigger OG’s team who, initially gave them real trouble up front.

Ian Matts, making his second team debut opened the scoring and this was quickly followed in by hooker Scott Bayes who had his usual outstanding game.

The Buckby pack did well to withstand the pressure of the OG’s eight with worthy mentions for props Jamie Ashby and Will Howells.

The home side turned round 12-0 up and looked forward to playing with the elements in the second half.

They soon opened up the OG’s defence to put left wing, Rob Cantrell in for a try and Adam Foster, completing an outstanding Buckby back row performance, scored the fourth of the day.

Long Buckby now rang the changes. Dan Burton replaced brother Josh in the second row. Tom Haynes came on at hooker and Ben Gilbert moved to full-back with Dan McNally coming on at 10.

Richard Woods replaced Ian Matt’s cousin, George and Tom Evans came on for Rob Cantrill.

This allowed Buckby to open up the game and right wing Dan Perkins quickly completed a double with Jonny Palmer’s fifth conversion making the score 40-0.

OG’s did not let up and from two forward drives they brought the score back to 40-12, but the home side had the last say as centre Ed Stitch completed an intricate midfield move to make the final score 45-10.

Scorers: Tries Ian Matts, Scott Bayes, Rob Cantrill, Adam Foster, Dan Perkins (2) and Ed Stitch.

Cons: Jonny Palmer (5).

Man of the Match was Dan Perkins.