After the axe fell on Byfield station
Here are two photos from the archives showing the remains of Byfield Railway Station.
The photos date to 1979, and show former station master George Halton and signalman Bill Steel standing on the remains of the up platform.
The station was closed in April 1952 when passenger services stopped. However, freight services continued to use the line until it was closed in 1965.
The line from Stratford-upon-Avon to Towcester, going via Byfield, was opened in 1873.
IN COURT: Offenders from Northampton and Daventry sentenced by local magistrates
Labour fury as council tells pensioners to 'travel miles' for £100 vouchers to help cost of living crisis
Road works: Hold-ups possible in and around Northampton, Towcester and Daventry as closures affect M1, A45, A5 and A43
‘Sacked’ Northamptonshire Sergeant claims discrimination because he is ‘male and a police officer’
Domestic abuse: Victim urges others to 'speak up and speak out' after horror tale of fearing for her life, being stalked, losing her children and living as a recluse
The station was never a busy one, starting with only two trains per day which were soon cut.
Services restarted after the Central Railway arrived at neighbouring Woodford Halse, and the two lines were linked for a few years, and it was possible to catch a direct train from the village to Marylebone in London.
The station lay to the south of Byfield off Church Street, which itself was carried over the lines by a bridge. The site of the station and part of the tracks was adopted by the village and turned into the pocket park.