Steelmen too strong as Daventry are beaten in County Cup final

NOT TO BE - the Daventry players stand on the pitch and watch the Corby players lift the Senior Cup at Sixfields
NOT TO BE - the Daventry players stand on the pitch and watch the Corby players lift the Senior Cup at Sixfields
Have your say

Daventry Town endured heartbreak at Sixfields as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat against Blue Square North side Corby Town in the NFA Hillier Senior Cup Final on Tuesday night.

Darran Foster’s men were the better side for the opening 30 minutes, and were still level at 1-1 after an hour.

But Corby’s extra quality told in the end, and Chris Plummer’s side were worthy winners.

On a sunny but breezy evening at the home of the Cobblers, Daventry settled the quicker of the two sides, and were so close to taking the lead after just five minutes, Ashley Robinson’s acrobatic near-post volley well saved by Corby goalkeeper Paul Walker.

Chances were very limited in the opening 20 minutes, with Corby having plenty of possession but not making any headway against a solid Daventry defence, with Liam Dolman dominant at the back.

On 25 minutes, a sharp Daventry counter-attack ended in Nat Liburd whipping in a low shot from 20 yards, with former Cobblers goalkeeper Walker again up to the task.

A few moments later Town again had a decent chance, but Robinson dragged his shot wide from the right hand side of the penalty area. He probably should have done better.

On 33 minutes the deadlock was broken, and it was the men in the pink shirts as opposed to the purple ones that took the lead.

The right side of the Daventry defence went missing when possession was lost in attack, and Josh Moreman raced into the open grass of the Sixfields pitch, drove into the penalty area and passed a left foot shot into the bottom corner with Daventry keeper Richard Morris totally exposed.

It was harsh on Daventry, but a clinical finish from Moreman, who soon had to leave the field after pulling a hamstring.

That was the way it stayed until the break.

Daventry again started the second half sharper than Corby, and it was that man Walker that denied them a goal in the 47th minute.

A defensive slip allowed Liburd a shooting chance from the edge of the box, and the winger’s dipping volley was struck beautifully, but too close to Walker who stuck out a strong left hand to block the ball.

Five minutes later even Walker was powerless to stop Daventry from equalising, left-back Callum Burgess arriving unmarked six yards out to header in a whipped in free-kick from the left by Neil King.

It was a quality delivery, and a quality finish.

The parity was short-lived though, with Corby re-taking the lead on 62 minutes through Ryan Semple.

Former Cobblers winger Greg Kaziboni was the architect though, his surging run down the right getting him to the byline, and he delivered a perfect low ball across the six yard box for Semple to hammer home and make it 2-1 to the Steelmen.

The Blue Square North side were boosted by the goal, and began to control to possession.

On 80 minutes Morris did well to save low down at his near post from Corby substitute Dave King, and at this stage Corby were looking much the stronger.

With eight minutes remaining the game was as good as won, Corby central defender rising unchallenged to head home a corner kick from eight yards out.

Daventry tried hard to get back in the game, but it was Corby that coasted home and collected the silverware.

Daventry team: Morris, Jackson (40 mins, Confue), Burgess, Cartwright, Dolman, Howell, Oulton, King, Robinson, Blake (69 mins, Cross), Liburd (76 mins, Beckley). Subs not used: Holford, Gould.