Langmead delighted to sign new Cobblers deal after ‘incredible year’

STAYING A COBBLER - Kelvin Langmead has signed a new two year deal with Northampton

STAYING A COBBLER - Kelvin Langmead has signed a new two year deal with Northampton

3
Have your say

Kelvin Langmead has signed a new two-year contract with the Cobblers.

And the Town skipper has immediately set his sights on helping the club to promotion next season.

The 28-year-old is the first of the club’s out-of-contract players to put pen to paper on a new deal.

The central defender was the runaway winner of the club’s player of the year award, and his signing is a timely boost for the club’s supporters following the disappointment of Saturday’s npower League Two play-off final defeat at the hands of Bradford City.

“This club deserves to be promoted, it is run extremely well and there is a fantastic structure in place,” said Langmead, who was an unused substitute at Wembley at the weekend.

“It is a club going in the right direction, and I want to be part of that.

“I have really enjoyed my football this season.

“It has been an incredible year for me, and I want to keep that momentum going.”

Like everybody else involved with the club, Langmead was on a low following the 3-0 loss to Bradford.

But he is now looking forward to a relaxing summer and then getting down to serious business again in pre-season.

“There is always that tinge of unfinished business after a game like the one on Saturday,” admitted Langmead, who had lost twice previously in Wembley play-off finals while with Shrewsbury Town.

“It is now about going away and enjoying some time with your family and kids, and then coming back ready for next season.

“That is what we are going to do.

“This season ended in disappointment but there has been a lot of progress made.

“I believe in the management here and the way the club is moving forward and I’m desperate to be a part of that.”

Manager Aidy Boothroyd is delighted to have tied Langmead to a new deal, and said: “Kelvin epitomises the progress this club has made in the last 18 months.

“He has shown a fantastic attitude, he is a terrific leader both on and off the pitch and I am thrilled we have secured him.

“I was keen to get him signed early and to start our plans for next season by getting Kelvin signed up on a new two-year contract is fantastic news.

“We missed his influence when he was injured towards the end of the season and this is a big signing for us.”

With Langmead agreeing to stay, it means there are now 11 current players who will be out of contract this summer.

The others are John Johnson, Luke Guttridge, Lee Collins, Ben Harding, Adebayo Akinfenwa, Ben Tozer, Lewis Wilson, Jake Robinson, Louis Moult, Paul Turnbull and Roy O’Donovan.

Boothroyd is expected to announce a full retained list later this week.