RELIEVED villagers are celebrating after plans for 132 homes in Long Buckby were thrown out.
Hundreds of residents turned up to the meeting when planning permission for the homes on the west of Station Road was refused.
The decision made by Daventry District Council’s planning committee on Wed-nesday last week was greeted with cheers and applause.
There were fears that the proposal could have had a negative impact on services in Long Buckby.
One villager, Tony Peploe, said: “If this had gone through it would have been disastrous for our village with the increase in traffic and the doctors surgery we would not have been able to cope.”
Another villager, Elizabeth Barnard, said: “The proposal would have created a ghetto outside of the village and have had a serious impact upon the community and quality of life for people in Long Buckby.
“I am heartened by the committee’s refusal to grant planning permission and hope that they treat the next proposal for a similar development with the contempt it deserves.”
The proposal was refused as it would have meant development on a green open space. It was also stated at the meeting that the village itself would see no benefit if the homes were built.
The fight to prevent further homes being built in Long Buckby has not stopped yet with a planning application submitted for 107 homes on the other side of the road.
A public meeting will be held on Wednesday at Long Buckby Community Centre. It starts at 7.30pm.
n Email your views to editorial@ daventryexpress.co.uk