Villagers helped tackle fire at Cold Ashby sports pavilion

Damaged caused to the outside of the pavillion. Pictures via Cold Ashby Children's Playground Facebook group NNL-150707-170045001
Damaged caused to the outside of the pavillion. Pictures via Cold Ashby Children's Playground Facebook group NNL-150707-170045001
0
Have your say

Neighbours rushed to try and tackle a blaze deliberately started at a village sports pavilion.

Northamptonshire Police say petrol was used to start the blaze, which caused structural damage to Cold Ashby sports pavilion, off Stanford Road in the village.

Two people were seen running away from the scene after the fire broke out, which was between 10.30pm and 10.45pm on Sunday, June 21.

Villagers living nearby, alerted by the noise of the explosion and an alarm, rushed to tackle the fire with extinguishers until the fire brigade arrived.

“The pavilion will be out of use for a few weeks,” said Ruth Sleigh, secretary of the Cold Ashby Playing Fields Association. “One of the changing rooms was damaged and an internal wall was blown out by a small explosion.

“The whole village has been shocked by this incident but we are determined to get the pavilion repaired and back open again as soon as we can.”

The pavilion is used by the local cricket club, bowls club and other groups, who have all had to find alternative venues.

Cold Ashby Parish Council, the legal owner of the building, has also had to switch its meetings to a nearby golf club.

Tony Wycherley, chairman of the parish council, said: “I have lived here for 29 years and this is the first time I can remember anything like this happening in the village.”

Anyone with information about the incident should call Northamptonshire Police on 101. Alternatively, they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or use the anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.