A GOVERNMENT decision to grant planning permission for 132 homes in Long Buckby has left villagers feeling devastated.
The proposal for the homes on the west side of Station Road was given approval following a decision made by the Government’s planning inspectorate on Friday (October 19).
The application, by Hallam Land Management, had gone to appeal after the proposal was turned down by Daventry District Council earlier this year. The developers have been told that, following a planning inquiry heard at the beginning of September, they had won the appeal and homes would now be built.
The controversial scheme, and another for the opposite side of the road, had led to a campaign group, Buckby Residents Against Controversial Estates (BRACE), being set up.
BRACE leader Liz Barnard said: “Everyone I have spoken to in the village is absolutely devastated by the decision. There is a lot of unhappiness among people I have heard from.
“Everything in the village will inconceivably change from what we have right now.
“The laws are in the middle of changing and there is a vacuum out there at the moment.
“There are a lot of opportunistic proposals that are going in at the moment and these are developments which will change places like Long Buckby, not just now but for the future generations of the village.”
Another villager Matthew Kinross, said: “It is, to say the least, ironic that the public notice for the district council’s settlements and countryside local plan was published on the Thursday of last week.
“It is tempting to say ‘why bother?’ as, by the time it is complete, our fields will be full of unplanned houses, and the roads overloaded with traffic – none of which will have been planned for.”
The planning inspector said in his report that a shortage of housing supply over the next five years had led to his decision.
A second housing scheme, consisting of 107 homes on the opposite side of the road, will be subject of a planning inquiry next month.
It is due to be held at the iCon building on Tuesday, November 6.