Family’s pets die in house fire

MHRA-24-01-13 Crick fire Jan43'House fire in Chapel Lane,Crick Three fire engines attended .

MHRA-24-01-13 Crick fire Jan43'House fire in Chapel Lane,Crick Three fire engines attended .

0
Have your say

A couple’s two cats and pet dog died following a massive fire that completely destroyed their home in Crick on Thursday (January 24).

The blaze happened in Chapel Lane at 12.55pm and was due to an electrical fault. The pair also lost all their belongings in the fire.

The Rev David Lake, of St Margaret’s Church in Crick, visited the couple. He said: “It is a terrible tragedy. The fire has totally destroyed the property. It’s uninhabitable and structurally unsafe.”

The whole road was cordoned off as firefighters tackled the blaze at the detached property.

Rev Lake added: “What has been remarkable is the humanity shown by people in the village. People have been astounding. They have been given donations of money and other items.

“The couple are coming to terms with what’s happened. They are touched by people’s kindness and support.”

He said losing their pets has been the hardest part of the tragedy.

He added: “Property is important but when it comes to losing animals it’s something very different. Their dog had come from a rescue centre. Losing both their cats too is absolutely tragic and hard to come to terms with.”

The rector had visited the pair and said he was ‘encouraged’ by the actions of others.

Mr Lake said: “It is really sad but the way it has bought people in the community together is good to see.”