A TOWN church facing the threat of closure has been labelled ‘a landmark steeped in history which must remain open’.
The Holy Cross Church needs to raise £129,000 this year to carry out emergency repair work.
The upper level stonework and balustrading at the church have become badly weathered which is becoming more and more of a hazard.
In total the work will cost £320,000. English Heritage has put the church on its ‘at risk’ list and offered a major grant of £197,000.
But that is dependant on the church raising the rest of the money by the end of this year.
The Daventry Express is campaigning for people in the town to come forward and help the fundraising effort.
David Adams, who has studied the history of the church, spoke to the Gusher about what a big part the building plays in the town and its history.
He said: “The church used to be part of the priory in the town until 1752 when the current rebuilding began.
“The church in its current form was opened in 1754 and is based on the same design as Derby Cathedral.
“It’s the only town Georgian church in the diocese.
“There have been various modifications since it was opened.
“In 1870 much of the interior of the building was refitted. The old Georgian pews were cut down in size and the ones that stand today were installed.
“There was also a fire in the organ in 1859.
“The organ tuner was working on the inside with a candle, as that was the only light available, and the candle fell inside and set the organ alight.
“As far as we know the new organ was brought up on carts from London.
“Then in around 1900 to 1910 a new stained glass window was installed in the east wing and since then not much has changed.
“It’s probably the most iconic building in Daventry
“The majority of people in Daventry have been through the church for baptisms, weddings or funerals.
“It’s still a very important building and one that needs to be preserved.”